Sunday, May 20, 2018

Telecom Loop, 9/14/16

One last day at Stephen's Place left so I decided to make a final run around the Telecom Loop.  I finally got a good shot of the Fire-tufted Barbet.


Chestnut-capped Laughingthrush was regular around Stephen's Place.


Down the loop I was whistling the Collared Owlet call and got a pretty good response.  As usual the birds descend at once and diappear just as quickly.  I was happy to get photos of the Black-eared Shrike-Babbler.  There was also White-browed Shrike-Babbler which I failed to capture. 




The same flock had a Long-tailed Sibia.


And Mountain Fulvettas.


I think I saw Mountain Bulbul everyday.


This is a subadult male Gray-chinned Minivet.


One of my favoirte birds is the tiny male Little Pied Flycatcher.  It is a common species in middle elevations across SE Asia.  I have seen them in China and the Philippines also.  It is in the same genus Ficedula as the Rufous-browed Flycatcher I photographed a few days earlier.  




This bird had me a little confused for a while.  The metallic blue-black feathers looked like a drongo but the tail wasn't shaped right.  Then I saw the thin wispy shafts at the side of the tail.  And then I saw the pendants at the ends of the shafts.



Here's a Bar-winged Flycatcher-Shrike, which is not a flycatcher nor is it a shrike.


One last Chestnut-capped Laughingthrush.


I'm writing this last post about seven years after the fact.  I don't remember but I think I quit early that day to take a nap.  Anyway this was a fun little side trip to one of SE Asia's most famous birding locations.  I was glad to finally get to experience Fraser's Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PS: Second Inaturalist Record Butterfly for Malaysia, 9-11-15

Well, eight years after my trip to Fraser's Hill, I finally got around to editing the few butterfly photos I took.  It was mostly cloudy...