Sunday, May 20, 2018

Telecom Loop, 9/11/16

After another fine breakfast at Stephen's Place I decided to spend a full day on the Telecom Loop.  This tree shrew had been cleaning up on last night's moths and some left over bread.


I decided another trip around the Telecom Loop was in order.  Finally got a decent photo of a Common Green-Magpie.


As with all the leafbirds, Orange-bellied Leafbird is usually high in a tree and hard to get good looks at.  I don't even try to identify the females but this male was easy.


Mountain Bulbuls were fairly common.


Then in a dark heavily wooded area I found another on my most wanted list, the Blue Nuthatch.  Not great photos in the poor light.  It sure acted like a nuthatch as it crept up and down the tree limbs searching for insects.


And in the same flock with Mountain Fulvettas were a few Golden Babblers.


A bit down the road I heard a scratchy chatter in a dense tangle of vegetation.  I recorded the call on my phone and played it back.  With a little pishing I got some poor views of a Pygmy Cupwing.  They've been separated from the rest of the wren-babblers based on morphology of something or other.  Anyway it's a cute name.


On my last trip around the loop I saw a couple of Black-and-crimson Orioles.  Got much better views this time.  The female lacks the red.



One more much wanted bird was the Sultan Tit.  This one was a little ragged.


I made it back to Stephen's Place and enjoyed a nap.  His yard holds a population of endangered Red-cheeked Squirrels.


Not a lot of birds but I got some good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PS: Second Inaturalist Record Butterfly for Malaysia, 9-11-15

Well, eight years after my trip to Fraser's Hill, I finally got around to editing the few butterfly photos I took.  It was mostly cloudy...